Lil Creampuff - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lil Creampuff

Thanks
    Nice GT Dave!
    Great writing covering the mechanic work, and upgrades!
    and when you git r done, I would like to come over and check r out! Unless of course you can think of any reason you might need some help,,,, I'll come help, or just drink some beers and watch you work,,LOL

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frybie For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (11-13-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frybie View Post
    Nice GT Dave!
    Great writing covering the mechanic work, and upgrades!
    and when you git r done, I would like to come over and check r out! Unless of course you can think of any reason you might need some help,,,, I'll come help, or just drink some beers and watch you work,,LOL
    Thanks, see you soon.

I get now, why you want a platform to work on these smaller tractors. My knees are screaming, from all the up and down. Heck, even some 6 bys, with solid chocks at the ends would help. Jack it up, slide em in and set it back down. At least then, a lot of things could be done from a rolly seat.

That may have to go on the list. If it isn't raining, maybe we'll drag the table saw out and make some. It'll be too late for me but I know you still have several to do. Got any treated lumber laying around, needing to be put to good use? I may have enough to make one set of 4.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-13-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    Getting to the end.

Heat shield and auxiliary grounding finished.

DSCN0828.jpg
    DSCN0829.jpg
    Heim Joints all around the the axle pin upgraded.

DSCN0827.jpg
    Man, they tighten things up nicely. Crisp, easy steering and no obnoxious feedback from hitting bumps, which is so tiring. Probably wouldn't want to but one finger steering is possible. We'll see how much it changes with the added weight of the deck but right now, its a dream.

Still waiting on the lights and I'll read up on carb and gov adjustments and play with the tach but right now, it could go into service.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-13-2020 at 01:44 PM.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (11-13-2020),dundee222 (11-13-2020),Gordy (11-13-2020),Seabee (11-13-2020)

Thanks
    Lil Creampuff just did it's first job of work for me.

A couple hrs. with the RM48 mulching deck.

No problems but the steering is different with the extra weight of the deck, so, after some more chores, I'll pull the front axle and true the spindles to it. While its off, I'll move the grease zerk back to the top. What genius thought that moving it on the bottom was a good idea anyway? WTF!

I knew the 4 thousands had more clearance, I didn't remember them being able to lift the decks quite that much more. I have some new secret spots in my yard that I now have to pay attention to and or deal with.

The ride was fine. All this time, I've been blaming the tire size. Its the seat! My 3012 had the old fashioned seat, which I eventually upgraded but even that wasn't as good as what Ingersoll put on from the mid 90s and up. Never going back.

The lights worked fine. In fact, there would've been no way I could have done it without the LEDs.

There is definitely more operator input required on a VG 16, vs. a Linamar 20. Not a big deal but on the 20, you could almost set your speed and go to sleep.

I let it idle down for, I don't know, 30 seconds? There was a still a single, load, combustion bang from the muffler. That hadn't happened before, though had never run it more than ten or so minutes at a time and never under more load than travel.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-16-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks
    Re steering ... Gonna take my own advice and check the front wheel bearings and shims. Going through some stuff last night, I found a new set of the hvy duty versions that Barnaveld sells. Thanks Bill.

Thanks
    Re wheel bearings ... One side had some play, the other side was still tight and smooth. Changed the bad. I still have some tweaks I want to do for the steering but the rush is over. I'm keeping it and it'll be my main mower.

Mowed an out lot the other day. Hadn't been mowed in more than a month, maybe 2. So, zoysia was high (for zoysia), some of the rest was near enough to a foot and all of the leaves. Did it power through like a 20 hp would have? Nope but with the mulching deck, I'd have had to have mowed it in 2 passes anyway, once all the way up and then again at normal cutting height. I do wish I could get more height, I will miss that.

OTOH, the VG mowed a tough patch twice, for what the Onan would have used for one. Or very darn close to it. So, when they say sips fuel comparatively, it appears to be so.

Thanks
    Dave, curious if you are using your mower deck from one of your 4000 series machines? If so your rear gauge wheels are too large 6" vs 5" and you lift links are too long. Just wondering. Also since going back to a 3000 series have you noticed a difference in mowing time. I've read the ground speed is better with a 3000 while mowing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jancoe View Post
    Dave, curious if you are using your mower deck from one of your 4000 series machines? If so your rear gauge wheels are too large 6" vs 5" and you lift links are too long. Just wondering. Also since going back to a 3000 series have you noticed a difference in mowing time. I've read the ground speed is better with a 3000 while mowing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I'll have to check on the gauge wheels but the lift links are correct. As for speed, I see people bring that up all the time. Its a non issue for me. It has to be pretty smooth for my back to take full speed in low range, 3xxx, or 4xxx, doesn't matter.

Thanks
    I rolled my yard this past spring for the first time. My neighbor loaned it to me, and I rolled it 2 different directions. Really smoothed it out, and my back thanked me all summer. Full bore on my 4020 low range is getting to be enough. The 3016 I sold a few years back is faster!

Bill Moyer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    I rolled my yard this past spring for the first time. My neighbor loaned it to me, and I rolled it 2 different directions. Really smoothed it out, and my back thanked me all summer. Full bore on my 4020 low range is getting to be enough. The 3016 I sold a few years back is faster!

Bill Moyer
    Rolling probably would help me but would be bad for the trees and shrubs. We lost so many from the back to back droughts of a few yrs. ago, I've been reluctant to do anything to put them under more stress. Anything inside the drip line, is important. With mature trees, drip lines overlap, so not much that wouldn't be at risk.

I'm about due for another load of topsoil though. Plenty of small low spots that could be filled.

Back to tractors and bad backs ... Has anyone tried seat suspension kits?

Most of the whole unit types, raise the seat too much IMO and might be tricky to maintain the seat safety switch but I saw a couple models that are short add ons. The new style seat safety switch (inside the seat itself) would still work and the max, total added height, is under 3". I could get some of that back, by removing the slide adjusters. They're ~1.5 to 2" and mine are always all the way back anyway.