Auxiliary lighting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,068 Posts

Auxiliary lighting.

Been chewing on these for a while and finally ordered a set.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Certified...S8T0SV92H0YR5N

No matter how bright your headlights are, there are spots not lit, that would be handy, like under a push blade, or the end of a mower deck.

DSCN0859.jpg
    I'll do proper mock ups once I mount the deck but this is what I'm thinkin.

DSCN0861.jpg
    I like that they're waterproof and hooded, putting the light on the work, instead of in my eyes.

DSCN0863.jpg
    From about the deck end.

DSCN0864.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

CobyDog$10 (11-16-2020),dundee222 (11-15-2020),Maine Willy (11-16-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,565 Posts
    Good idea. Been on the fence about this issue myself. How about mounting them on the tower just under the hood [shining outwards] kind of like we use on big tractors now?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dundee222 View Post
    Good idea. Been on the fence about this issue myself. How about mounting them on the tower just under the hood [shining outwards] kind of like we use on big tractors now?
    I'll try both locations. Thats plan B, if I don't like this one.

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    The cab guys, probably know this from adding lighting and fans, wipers and such and needing to know every power drain on our systems in order to size what they can add but does anyone know the power usage of stock tail lights?

I don't need them brighter necessarily but if the above lights work out, I'm thinkin 3 per tractor. The 2 side lights, wherever they wind up and one in the back for a work light.

OTOH, if I could get plug n play LEDs to fit that, that were brighter, maybe I wouldn't need another in the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 873 Posts
    Not sure what bulb is in them. Here's a quick search, with lists of bulbs and their volts, amps and watts used.

https://www.google.com/search?q=watt...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Gordy

PS; You may already know this. But if you find only the wattage listed and want amps. The math is, Watts divided by Volts equals Amps.
    Last edited by Gordy; 11-16-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: PS

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

Seabee (11-16-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Not sure what bulb is in them. Here's a quick search, with lists of bulbs and their volts, amps and watts used.

https://www.google.com/search?q=watt...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Gordy

PS; You may already know this. But if you find only the wattage listed and want amps. The math is, Watts divided by Volts equals Amps.

Thanks Gordy. The math is simple but using it so infrequently, I often forget which goes where in the formula.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1mn2 View Post
    Thanks Gordy. The math is simple but using it so infrequently, I often forget which goes where in the formula.
    Borderline dyslexia does not help either But a bulletin board covered the stick notes does

Gordy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordy For This Useful Post:

david.barkey (11-16-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Borderline dyslexia does not help either But a bulletin board covered the stick notes does

Gordy
    One of my Physics professors advised, not to clutter the brain with 100s of formulae. Remember which book its in, which to choose and how to apply them.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-16-2020 at 08:25 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

david.barkey (11-16-2020),dundee222 (11-16-2020),Gordy (11-16-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1mn2 View Post
    The cab guys, probably know this from adding lighting and fans, wipers and such and needing to know every power drain on our systems in order to size what they can add but does anyone know the power usage of stock tail lights?

I don't need them brighter necessarily but if the above lights work out, I'm thinkin 3 per tractor. The 2 side lights, wherever they wind up and one in the back for a work light.

OTOH, if I could get plug n play LEDs to fit that, that were brighter, maybe I wouldn't need another in the back.
    The Speaker 170 light assemblies that are used for the tail lights in the later 3000/4000 series tractors take #194 bulbs. Those are typically rated 3.8W @ 14V (so just a little over 1/2 Amp for the pair).

The JW Speaker company still manufacturers the model 170 lights ( https://www.jwspeaker.com/products/l...hts-model-170/ ). The new ones are now LED and they are considerably brighter although they're a bit on the pricey side. I picked up a pair for my 4020PS a while back but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

Although with the angle they're mounted at on the fenders I don't think they'll be a suitable substitute for a rear facing work light. For that, I already have a 27W LED flood light (similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Square-LED-Tr...00MHZ20OK?th=1 ) on the back as well as a couple more forward facing ones on the front of the cab.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_McAvoy For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (11-16-2020)

Thanks
    Mock ups on the 4018, which has a blade mounted. As usual, the camera doesn't tell the whole story. The above shown fender loc. Jumpered to the batt. headlights off.

DSCN0901.jpg
    In the real world, I can see the bottom of the blade much better and I think the angle would be better for seeing the end of the deck too. Installation would be much easier, by avoiding the cramped space of the oil tank.

From the tower.

DSCN0903.jpg
    Not near as good for a blade. Possibly better for a mower. I'll check it on the 3016 (which has a deck mounted) before I make a decision.

I HATE the idea of drilling in non factory places but I'm pretty sure I want these lights and being a standard part (license plate light) at least they are likely to stay a standard size, should they ever need replacement.