Points losing power
    Thanks

Points losing power

I have a roper 18t with an onan b48m. I recently put the brass floats in with the helper spring of course. It ran well for a few days after the install however now it keeps stalling. so I started at the basics and took the points cover off and found while I'm cranking I don't see a spark there, then it gets spark and fires up roght away. while its running it seems to loose spark again and stalls. It will crank for a while with no spark at the points before it seems to fire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,372 Times in 886 Posts
    Could be a dirty, corroded, or even loose wire connection in the ignition system. That's where I would start. Coils and condensers and ignition switches can do strange things when going bad. Running a test lead from battery + to coil + may help narrow the problem down. Good spark would indicate a problem in the wiring before the coil, if the problem persists that would indicate coil, points or condenser is the problem.

Gordy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 620 Posts
    If you are saying that you see sparks at the points, then the condenser is bad. its job is to protect the points from arcing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sdunt For This Useful Post:

ROCKLAND VALLEY (11-23-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Ok interesting. This is my first machine with points so I should never really see a spark there while its running?

Thanks
    Joradfo,

As sdunt mentions there should be little or no arcing at the points when running. For top adjust breaker point boxes the condenser is p/n 312-0246: https://www.casegardentractorparts.com/31caon.html

Bob