Kerosene heater repair.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,131 Posts

Kerosene heater repair.

A friend gave me an old Kerosene heater some yrs. ago. I used it once and it worked fine. Colder temps are finally here and I need at least 50 degrees to finish the auxiliary lighting (the dbl stick tape).

It'll light but no longer burns without excessive fumes. You've all seen my shed. Its a simple structure with 2 gable end vents. It still fumed me out.

Anyway, I'd never had one and no manuals came with it, so as a friend once said, there is youtube for everything. Well, not exactly for my model but they're fairly universal, enough so that I can take it apart, look around and clean it.

It is partially apart now, I can touch the wick but mine isn't cleaning up like on the vids. The chunks of debris / carbon are gone but its still black as night. I'll finish cleaning as best as I can and if necessary, try a new wick but I'm not sure what to do more than that.

Knowing my buddy, it wouldn't surprise me if its had straight diesel, rather than kerosene run through it. I see where some say that is fine, so long as a diesel additive is used. Others say with modern diesel, even that isn't necessary. Would Seafoam work?

Comfort Glow GC11B

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Need a new wick?
    DSCN0941 (2).JPG
    Not sure what that black ring is. It seems to be part of the wick. It moves with it. There is that chunk out of it, towards the lower portion of the pic.

I had the burner out. The inside of the tank and the fuel look clean. No rust, debris, floaters etc. The gasket looks new. Clean, pliable etc.
    Last edited by dave1mn2; 11-29-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Dave,

My best advice would be to replace the wick and only use K-1 kerosene for fuel. It's also a good practice to burn the tank completely dry fairly often as that helps to remove any deposits building up on the wick. The wicks are fiberglass so you don't need to worry about the wick burning like the old cotton ones.

Bob

5. The Following User Says Thank You to myerslawnandgarden For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (11-29-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Hey Bob. Its on a test run in the shed now. I took it all apart, cleaned everything with a brass brush and gasoline, then a brake clean rinse and wipe down. Much better but still pretty stinky.

Looked for a wick locally but I'll have to order it. If that doesn't do it I'll switch out the fuel.

Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dcdonah For This Useful Post:

dave1mn2 (11-29-2020)

Thanks
    Read some more and watched a few more vids. Now I'm wondering if that black ring shown above, wasn't a giant build up of carbon, rather than part of the wick, or mechanism. Apparently, not only should you run them dry but do what is called a dry burn, in which carbon deposits are burnt off.

The weather forecast has worsened. Freezing or below at night, for at least a week, so I don't know if I can get and keep the tractor to temp but I can use up a bunch of old fuel and doing dry burns trying.

Thanks
    "I don't know if I can get and keep the tractor to temp ..."

Maybe I could have, if I'd noticed the door latch not catch and the wind hadn't blown it open overnight. Current temp 30F, thermometer placed on the running bd. 42F. With the door open about a foot, call me impressed.

Thanks
    Current temp 32F. On the running bd. 50.
    Raised it 8 degrees in 2 hrs. Burning much cleaner.
    Heck, if I can get it to suit me, I may try to get the igniter working.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,629 Posts
    Good luck with the heater! Thought. If you only need to warm the area where you are giong to stick on your lights, why not use a heat gun? you only need to heat the tin for a couple of minutes. Although,,, taping lights on a tractor does sound a little rinky dink when you say it,,,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dundee222 View Post
    Good luck with the heater! Thought. If you only need to warm the area where you are giong to stick on your lights, why not use a heat gun? you only need to heat the tin for a couple of minutes. Although,,, taping lights on a tractor does sound a little rinky dink when you say it,,,
    Rinky dink! But, but, but its gorilla tape. Its supposed to hold 1lb. per 2". I'll cut it to fit. You won't even know its there.

It doesn't talk about a cure time but I'd think letting it have a bit of stable temps would be better than not.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dave1mn2 For This Useful Post:

dundee222 (11-30-2020)