Tiller talk - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tiller talk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan444 View Post
    Iíve been checking into getting me a tiller for my 444. I donít have a holding valve, also donít have front or rear weights. Iím assuming front weight is really mandatory for safety? Holding valve or rears really needed?
    You could always do wheelies down the field.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CaseColtIngersoll.com
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan444 View Post
    Iíve been checking into getting me a tiller for my 444. I donít have a holding valve, also donít have front or rear weights. Iím assuming front weight is really mandatory for safety? Holding valve or rears reallly needed?
    Hi, I have a 448 I got from my in-laws estate. The tiller works much better than my same vintage Ford 16hp diesel. Anyway, I definitely recommend the front weights like the others have said. I put them on at first to help with the front end steering (new tires after 30 years helped too) but also glad now as it did help against those occasional wheelies others have mentioned. I don't know how my father-in-law did without them all these years. There were some other posts on this site that have helped me with those weight alternatives. I just mounted several old bar-bell weights on a bolt. I have a mount (some call it a mule) from the mower and blade that I might use down the road.

This post has got me thinking now as to what kind of valve controller I have. I just thought it was called a travel control. Mine is the hand lever my the steering column. I don't think I have to, but I do hold on to it as I go through the garden. Good luck. You'll like the tiller.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 943 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CobyDog$10 View Post
    And then strap that hood down!
    It not a bad idea to strap the seat down too

Loading the tractors nose first was never a problem with the old 5'x10' tilt bed trailer.

The newer car trailer has long (6'5") ramps and only rises 16" from ground to bed. The only issue I had was backing on a Simplicity 7119 with cab and snow blower mounted. The snow blower bottomed out in the dirt and the tire chains slipped on the ramps and went sideway off the ramps The Simplicity has no problem climbing the ramps going forward with the blower mounted.

Gordy

Thanks
    Dan
    We spoke about a homemade front weightbox and you asked for some pictures. It was very cheap. The idea came from a cousin of mine to mount an old toolbox on the front filled with concrete. I used some hardware I had laying around for structural support on the inside before I poured the concrete in. I mounted it to a quick connect plate on the front of the tractor I had laying around. The 4x4 piece of lumber is a temporary spacer so the hood can still open with the box mounted. I used almost a whole bag of fast setting quick Crete. I left the top open so I can still store a few hand tools in the tray. I put in a handful of food plots in for friends in the spring and summer and it is always nice to have some tools on board if something goes wrong! The pipe coming out the front is from the previous set up I had used making weights with a bag of quick Crete, a five gallon bucket, and a piece of pvc. Hope this helps!

Jason

Thanks
    Here is a better picture of my previous set up. Looks pretty goofy but it’s better than nothing!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jas1024 For This Useful Post:

Dan444†(01-14-2021)

Thanks
    It is a little unsettling when you're headed out to till for the first time and your 448 pops a wheelie for the first time. Almost spilled my drink. LOL. In case anyone is in the market, I have a tiller with new hoses and good bearings for sale. Hit me up if interested in the Michigan area. That said, I definitely think front weights are mandatory for safety purposes if you are going to till with any sort of incline.